There is actually quite a long chapter dealing with this topic. It revolves around conserving fuel through various measures. There is some pretty decent advice here:
- Planning and awareness helps to avoid late braking and harsh acceleration. Plan your route to avoid delays and congestion.
- Drive smoothly and keep within the speed limits or slower (vehicles traveling at 70 use 30% more fuel than traveling the same distance at 50)
- Take your foot off the accelerator when going downhill
- Utilize Block Gear Changing (skipping gears when accelerating.)
- When stopped for more than 2 minutes, turn off engine. (We find ourselves doing this often when stopped at level (railroad) crossings; it also is a good way to be able to take your foot off the brake so you aren’t dazzling the driver behind you)
- Remove unnecessary weight (roof racks)
- Run AC only when necessary.
- Reverse into parking space while the engine is warm, and drive out when it’s cold.
- Choose an energy efficient vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained (tyres properly inflated, engine tuned, oil changed)
- Recycle used oil responsibly.
- Use alternate transportation when possible (walk, bike, carpool, public transportation)